Lemon Feta & Tomato Pasta
- 1-pound whole grain pasta, such as rotini or penne
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed & drained
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Juice & zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or basil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add the tomatoes to an oven-safe baking dish. Drizzle 1/4 cup olive oil over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to release their juices.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid and drain the pasta. Set aside.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven. Stir in the crumbled feta, garlic cloves, rinsed & drained chickpeas and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the tomatoes. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, another dash of pepper, and the oregano.
- Roast for another 10-12 minutes or until the tomatoes are blistered.
- Remove the tomatoes and feta from the oven. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and the chopped herbs.
- Stir in the cooked pasta until the noodles are coated. If the pasta is too dry, stir in some of the reserved cooking liquid to loosen the pasta.
- Instead of feta cheese, this recipe can be made with ricotta, cream cheese, or fresh mozzarella!