Turkey Black Bean Tacos with Spicy Pineapple Salsa
Taco Filling Ingredients:
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 pound. ground turkey
1 onion, small diced
2 carrots, grated
1, 10oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1, 15oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
To serve: Spicy Pineapple Salsa (recipe below), Corn Tortillas, Whole Wheat Burrito Wrap, Tortilla Chips, or Brown Rice
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the ground turkey to the pan and begin to cook the meat. Stir to break the meat up into smaller pieces.
- Cook the turkey for 1-2 minutes then add in the chopped onion and grated carrots to the meat. Continue cooking until the ground turkey is no longer pink and the onions are softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed black beans, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, dried oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer the taco filling over medium heat, stirring frequently until the vegetables are soft and the beans are warmed through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the filling with Spicy Pineapple Salsa and corn tortillas, chips, over rice, or in a burrito.
Spicy Pineapple Salsa Ingredients:
2 cups chopped pineapple, fresh or canned (drain if using canned)
1/4 red onion, finely diced
1 jalapeño, finely diced
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients to a bowl. Stir gently.
- Season to taste with more salt, pepper, and/or lime juice.
- Serve immediately or store covered in the fridge for 2-3 days.