Tomato, White Bean, & Kale Soup
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 2 carrots, zucchini, or yellow squash, small diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, small diced or 1 (15 oz) can diced potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minces or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon salt-free Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 3-4 cups chopped greens, such as kale, collards, or spinach
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans white beans (drained & rinsed)
- Grated parmesan, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium. Add the onion, carrot, and diced potatoes. Sauté until soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add garlic, sauté for 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and salt. Sauté for a few minutes more.
- Add in broth, water, and canned tomatoes with juices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add in chopped greens and beans. Simmer for 5 minutes until kale is wilted and beans are hot.
- Ladle into bowls & garnish with grated parmesan and cracked black pepper as desired.
- This recipe works well with whatever vegetables you have in your fridge: shredded cabbage, sliced green beans, celery, or bell peppers would work great.
- Use fresh, frozen or canned greens!
- Frozen peas and carrots can also replace the fresh carrots.
- Add in cooked and shredded chicken, cooked ground turkey, or cooked and crumbled sausage for extra protein.