Operation Food Search & Nutrition
As part of our mission to alleviate the burden of hunger, Operation Food Search works to not only distribute food to those in need, but also to provide evidence-based nutrition education to residents of the St. Louis region.
Operation Food Search’s Nutrition Education Department is staffed by professionals in the fields of dietetics, public health and culinary arts and offer a variety of free and fee-based educational opportunities:
- Cooking Matters: Ground breaking nutrition education and cooking classes designed to teach people hands-on meal preparation, practical nutrition information and food budgeting skills.
- Cooking Matters at the Store: An interactive, guided grocery store tour that teaches individuals and families how to make healthy food choices on a limited budget. This facilitator-led tour has its roots in the grocery store tour that is a critical learning experience in our Cooking Matters courses.
- The Confident Cook: A customized, structured program for your organization designed by Operation Food Search professionals to increase confidence in the kitchen through hands-on culinary training empowering individuals to create healthy and delicious meals at home.
- Nutrition Presentations: Provide presentations on a variety of popular nutrition topics. Topics include how to follow a healthy diabetic diet, how to get your picky eater to eat their fruits and vegetables and many more.
- Cooking Demonstrations: Teach participants how to prepare a nutritious and delicious recipe (or two). Samples, recipe cards and additional nutrition handouts are provided.
If you are interested in hosting Operation Food Search’s Nutrition Education Department at your school, church, community center or other organization please contact us and let us know.
Page through some of our favorite recipes for classes and cooking demonstrations here!
Each of these programs address a vital need in the St. Louis community. Each is made possible by the hard work of our volunteers and many generous donations. You can be part of the solution to hunger. Find out how.