By: Katie Jackson, RDN, LD
It’s no secret that finding fresh, flavorful produce feels more challenging in the winter months. The cold weather takes away those roadside stands and farmers markets, leaving grocery shopping as the primary method of purchasing food. What most people may not know is that there is still quite a variety of fruits and vegetables that are in season during these chilly months! From citrus fruits to leafy greens, you can still find delicious flavors and textures to brighten up your winter plates.
Here is a list of some of the wonderful produce that winter has to offer:
- Citrus fruits: grapefruit, oranges, clementines, tangerines
- Root vegetables: turnips, beets, sweet potatoes, onions
- Leafy greens: kale, collard greens, swiss chard
- Other veggies: brussels sprouts, winter squash
- Other fruits: pears, kiwi, pomegranate, persimmons
Some of these fruits and vegetables are more unfamiliar to us, so test them out with this delicious winter produce bowl below! And remember, all forms of fruits and vegetables count! If eating canned or frozen produce options work better for you and your family, those are great options and you’re still getting the wonderful nutrients that they have to offer.
Winter Produce Bowl:
- 2 sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and dried
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 1 pear, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix chickpeas with 1 tsp oil, garlic powder, cayenne, and salt and pepper. Sprinkle sweet potato with cinnamon. Place chickpeas and sweet potato on baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in skillet. Add minced garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add chopped kale, salt and pepper to taste, and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Mix together remaining oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Add cooked rice, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, kale, and pear to big bowl and top with oil/lemon dressing. Enjoy!