- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 2 -15 ounce cans diced tomato (no salt added), un-drained
- 2 – 15 ounce cans black beans (no salt added), drained
- 1-2 cups warm water
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Warm oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add sweet potato, onion, and red pepper. Stir and sauté until onions are translucent and sweet potato begins to soften, about ten minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for another two minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beans, water, spices and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally.