- 3 medium eggplant
- 1/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon olive or canola oil, divided
- 3 large cloves, finely chopped garlic
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dry sherry (optional)
- 1 small jalapeno or other spicy pepper (optional)
- Cut eggplant in quarters, then into wedges approximately 1-inch in diameter
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the eggplant, cook for 5 minutes, turning once, until browned on both sides. Remove from skillet and repeat with another 2 Tablespoons of oil and remaining eggplant.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in same skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook slowly until fragrant and just browning. Add the sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, and sherry and hot pepper if desired. Bring to a boil and continue stirring. Add the eggplant and simmer for 3 minutes until sauce has begun to absorb. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serve over brown rice for a main dish.
|Servings||Serving Size||Calories||Fat||Protein||Carb (Fiber)|
|6||1/6 recipe||163||10 g||3 g||19 g (9 g)|