- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup light or dark molasses
- 7 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat large baking sheet with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper.
- For rolling sugar: In food processor, pulse 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 1 Tablespoon orange zest until well combined. Transfer to a shallow dish.
- For dough: In blender, grind oats until reduced to fine powder, about 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
- In large bowl, use electric mixer on medium-high to beat together butter and 1/3 cup granulated sugar for 5 minutes. Add brown sugar and 2 Tablespoons orange zest, then beat for 2 minutes.
- Add molasses, applesauce, egg yolk, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, pepper, salt. Beat on medium-high until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- Turn mixer to medium and slowly add ground oats. Then, slowly add flour. Dough will be moderately sticky.
- Roll dough into Tablespoon-sized balls, then roll balls in rolling sugar to coat. If necessary, wet fingers to help roll without sticking.
- In batches, bake cookies 10 minutes or until edges are set and tops are cracked but centers are still soft and puffy. Let cool on baking sheet.
|40||1 cookie||85||2 g||1 g||16 g|