- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 3 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 cup rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup non-fat plain yogurt, optional
- Rinse lentils. If possible, soak in warm water for at least 2 hours. Drain and set aside. If you don’t soak the lentils, they may need more water and take longer to cook.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until golden brown about 10-15 minutes. Set aside 1 cup of the sautéed onions for garnish. Add the rice to the onions and sauté until well coated with oil, about 1 minute.
- Add lentils, water, salt, pepper, spices, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook covered over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Fluff lentils with a fork. Garnish with non-fat plain yogurt if desired. Be sure to taste for seasoning.
|Amount of servings||Serving Size||Calories||Fat||Protein||Carbohydrate|
|6||1 cup||327||8 g||13 g||50 g|