- 1 pound elbow macaroni, or other small pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped vegetables (mushrooms, broccoli or peas) (optional)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups milk (skim, 1% or 2%)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the pasta al dente and drain.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onions and vegetables, if desired, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Turn heat to medium-low.
- Whisk in milk and cook until sauce is smooth and slightly thickened. Remove from heat and add cheddar and cottage cheese.
- Stir in pasta until coated and creamy.
|1 1/2 cup per serving||400||6 g||22 g||68 g (2g fiber)|