- 2 packages regular active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups very warm water (120°F to 130°F)
- 4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 3/4 to 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cups potato flakes (0ptional)
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; set aside. In a large bowl, mix honey, butter, salt and very warm water; cool 5 minutes.
- To cooled honey mixture, beat in 3 cups of the whole wheat flour with an electric mixer on low speed, scraping bowl frequently, until moistened. Beat on medium speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl frequently. Beat in remaining 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and dissolved yeast. With spoon, stir in 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour and potato flakes if using. Mix until dough pulls cleanly away from side of bowl.
- Place dough on floured work surface. Knead in remaining 1/2 to 1 cup all-purpose flour; continue to knead 5 to 10 minutes until dough is smooth and springy. Lightly oil a large bowl, place dough in bowl, turning dough to grease all sides. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place (80°F to 85°F) 30 to 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Generously oil 2 loaf pans. Gently push fist into dough to deflate divide in half. On lightly floured surface, roll each half of dough with rolling pin into 18×8-inch rectangle. Starting with one 8-inch side, roll up dough tightly, pressing with thumbs to seal after each turn. Pinch edge of dough into roll to seal; pinch each end to seal Fold ends under loaf; place seam side down in pan. Cover; let rise in warm place 30-45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 375°. Uncover dough; bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°; bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Immediately remove from pans to cooling racks. Cool for about 1 hour.
|Amount of servings||Serving Size||Calories||Fat||Protein||Carbohydrate|
|32||1 slice||126||2 g||4 g||24 g