- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Icing and candies of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg, vanilla, and lemon peel.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine flour, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cloves.
- Gradually add flour mixture to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Reroll scraps.
- Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate exchange, 1/2 fat
|Amount of servings||Serving Size||Calories||Fat||Protein||Carbohydrate|
|30||1 cookie||99||2 g||1 g||18 g|