- 4 Cups of Chopped Canned Tomatoes
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Basil
- Salt & Pepper
- Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- 3 Pounds Small to Medium Eggplants
- Cooking Oil Spray (Such as Pam)
- 1 Pound Fat Free Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Cup Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Medium Egg (or Egg Substitute)
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Basil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan.
- Add onions to the saucepan and cook until the onions look translucent. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes.
- Season the contents of the saucepan with 2 tablespoons of chopped basil and other seasonings.
- Let the contents of the saucepan simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch slices. Spray slices with oil spray. To cook slices, either grill or place the slices on a cookie sheet under the broiler. Cook until each side is a golden color.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ricotta, mozzarella and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. Add 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of minced basil and season to taste.
- In an 9×13-inch baking dish, spread about 1/2 cup of the sauce on bottom. Place a layer of eggplant over sauce, overlapping slightly. Spread a thin layer of sauce on eggplant. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Spread on ricotta mixture and finish with the last layer of the eggplant and sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden. Let sit 15 minutes before serving.
|Amount of servings||Serving Size||Calories||Fat||Protein||Carbohydrate|
|8||1 slice||246||10 g||21 g||22 g|