An Endowment Gift is an Investment in the Future
The Sunny Day Endowment guarantees the fulfillment of Operation Food Search’s ultimate mission —the creation of a hunger-free region—that promotes equity, a strong region and a brighter future for all. The Sunny Day Endowment also powers solutions to respond to our region’s food system challenges. We cannot predict all we will face in the future, but we know the same approaches will fall short of the need.
Building A Brighter Future for Children and Families
As an independent hunger relief organization, OFS is perfectly poised to influence regional, statewide and even nationwide change. Your endowment support will:
- Fund innovative programs that address the intersection of food, health, academic success, the regional food economy and workforce development.
- Advance critical hunger relief research and evaluation with academic partners to inform and guide program decisions.
- Fuel the systems-level work required to bring everyone together—including the health-care industry, school districts, local farmers and agriculture, corporate partners, community organizations, government and policymakers—to create effective policies and plans.
- Help attract talented staff and graduate-level fellows to be the next generation of researchers, practitioners and thought leaders in the field.
Our strategic plan calls for a systems-change approach to ensure all children and families can lead healthier lives now and for generations to come:
- Empower families toward self-sufficiency by reimagining how and where food safety net services are delivered.
- Train and provide tools to the health-care system, school districts and community organizations to screen, respond and advocate for hungry clients.
- Make lasting change possible through policy initiatives that prevent food hardship.
Help Ensure Our Legacy Today for Future Tomorrows
Help us transform the way hunger is addressed with your gift in the form of one of the following:
Gifts of Cash
Make an outright gift or pledge your commitment up to five years.
Leave a portion or the entire proceeds of your life insurance policy to OFS.
If you designate your IRA disbursement directly to the Sunny Day Endowment, a key benefit to you is those disbursements are not taxed. By contrast, assets are taxed when disbursed to you or another individual.
Gifts in Wills
Make a specific gift or charitable bequest in your estate plan—ranging from cash and securities to real estate and a percentage of your total estate—that may reduce your estate taxes.
Stocks and Bonds
Gifting appreciated securities allows you to contribute a significant amount at a reduced cost. Federal tax laws permit charitable deductions for the full market value of securities on the date of transfer, which ultimately helps you avoid capital gains taxes on those gifts.
Pioneer of Hunger Relief
The Sunny Day Endowment reflects the essence of its namesake, Sunny Schaefer, who was a pioneer in the hunger relief field. As Operation Food Search’s executive director from 1996 to 2018, she created a culture of thinking differently about hunger solutions. Under Sunny’s leadership, OFS was one of the first food banks in the nation to address the link between food insecurity and poor nutrition.