Healthy & Affordable Food Options
Through a partnership with national anti-hunger organization Share Our Strength, Operation Food Search is the local partner for Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters. Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters™ empowers families at risk of hunger with the skills, knowledge and confidence to make healthy and affordable meals. With the help of volunteer culinary and nutrition experts, course participants learn how to select nutritious and low-cost ingredients and prepare them in ways that provide the best nourishment possible to their families. Cooking Matters is nationally sponsored by Wal-Mart. For more information, visit CookingMatters.org.
Cooking Matters offers six unique courses targeted at a variety of distinct populations. All courses are designed to be taught in six weekly two hour sessions. Our classes are made possible through the help of volunteer instructors and assistants. To learn more about how you can become a Cooking Matters volunteer, click here.
- Cooking Matters for Adults teaches low-income adults how to prepare and shop
sensibly for healthy meals on a limited budget. Offered in English and Spanish.
- Cooking Matters for Parents encourages parents to create a healthy food environment for their families by preparing healthy, low-cost meals and snacks at home.
- Cooking Matters for Kids engages kids ages 8 to 12 in learning about healthy eating and provides simple nutritious recipes that children can prepare themselves.
- Cooking Matters for Families teaches school-age children (ages 6 to 12) and their parents about healthy eating as a family and the importance of working together to plan and prepare healthy meals on a budget.
- Cooking Matters for Teens teaches teens how to make healthy food choices, meals and snacks for themselves, their families and friends
- Cooking Matters for Child Care Professionals teaches child care professionals about healthy meal preparation and creating a healthy food environment for the kids in their care.
Cooking Matters is a fee-based program, for more information on bringing this program to your facility contact us.